Gen Z is categorized as the first digitally-native demographic, and whether they realize or not, they’re setting the pace for online engagement. Nearly 45% of Gen Z-ers admit they are online “almost constantly” and the remaining 55% are online for 10+ hours a day. Retail is taking note, and rightfully so. Gen Z represents 40% of consumers in the U.S. and they control $143 billion of our country’s spending power.
With COVID-19 nudging everyone deeper into the digital, Millennials and Baby Boomers are beginning to mirror the Z-ers. To adapt, retailers are looking to Gen Z for insights, closely monitoring their patterns and online behavior.
Where other generations consider technology a tool at their disposal, Gen Z approach it as an extension of themselves, navigating the digital landscape just as often as the physical. With this, comes a slew of new trends: an uptick in social media shopping, a call for radical transparency, and the emergence of community commerce: a hybrid of community, entertainment, and consumerism.
Join us as we explore how this generation is reshaping retail, what they’re expecting from the industry, and how 5G technology will help brands keep up with Gen Z demands.